At Christ Church Bedford we are looking to appoint a Youth & Student Minister. The position is full time (40 hours/week). Salary range is £25,000-£30,000 dependent on experience. This would initially be a 3 year fixed contract with a view to extend. Applications by Thursday 30th November.
We are a large open evangelical church, the largest CofE church in Bedford with a lively and welcoming congregation. Our new vicar arrived in 2022 and has developed a new, fresh vision for the church summed up by the following vision statement;
"We are a people being transformed by the unconditional love of God; seeking to bless our community, and longing for all to experience the hope we have in Jesus."
We are now seeking a new Youth and Student Minister to help realise that vision among our young people. We feel the time is right for us to revitalise, develop and extend our youth work. We currently have a Friday night youth group (average attendance 10-15) and J-Team for ages 11+ runs on a Sunday morning during the 10.30 service (average attendance 5). We anticipate these numbers will grow as we have a number of 9-10 year olds who will be moving into the youth groups soon. Therefore you will need to work closely with the children’s minister to manage those transitions as well as when young people are transitioning out of the youth work at age 18. We have good links with other churches, in particular strong links with Three Rivers Church but would like to develop this further. We would also like to re-establish our schools work. You will be well supported, line managed by the vicar and part of a friendly staff team.
Less than a mile away is a campus of the University of Bedfordshire, they have a new chaplain from summer 2023. At Christ Church we have a part time 18-30s Pioneer, we want to see some joined up working between the university and CCB.
• Developing the youth groups that we currently have and pioneer new ministries and worshipping communities to reach unchurched young people.
• Creating a discipleship program for our young people, so they develop a strong, mature faith in Jesus.
• Leading and developing our team of volunteers, expanding the team and providing necessary training as appropriate.
• Developing our relationships with local schools, churches and other young people in the local community in order to share God’s love in word and action.
• Engaging and collaborating with the new Chaplain at University of Bedfordshire.
• Develop a 3 year strategy for the youth work of the church, complementing the new Mission Action Plan of Christ Church.
• Serve as a full member of the staff team, joining with them for Daily prayer as agreed, staff meetings and in the Sunday worship of our church.
• Serve with professionalism and confidentiality and to work at all times in accordance with the Safeguarding policy adopted by this church.
• Have a nationally recognised qualification in youth work or 3 years proven practical experience.
• Be a committed Christian, enthusiastic about sharing the gospel and be a good role model of faith with a mature understanding of Scripture.
• Have good networking skills, able to build relationships with all types of people.
• Possess good leadership skills to be capable of leading teams of volunteers and young people.
• Self-motivated, disciplined, reliable and flexible to be able to initiate and carry out projects both individually as well as working with the staff team and others.
• Excellent time management, willing to work flexible hours and able to balance priorities and make sound decisions.
• Have good organisational and administrative skills, including the handling of a budget jointly with the Children’s Minister.
• Be conversant and compliant with current legislation for safeguarding within youth work.
• Be committed to the principle of Equal Opportunities and be able to work effectively in a culture of anti-discriminative practice.
• Have a good sense of humour!
• Experience of working with non-church organisations (e.g. schools, council, secular youth organisations)
• Ability to preach and/or lead services
• A full driving licence
• A First Aid qualification (or willingness to work towards one)
• Ability to develop the church’s social media presence
What we offer:
• A supportive, friendly and welcoming congregation who love children and young people and are ready to support you
• An experienced staff team who love serving the church and Jesus
• Opportunities for your own development, both personally and professionally.
Please email your completed “Youth & Student Minister Application Form 2023” to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by Thursday 30th November. This can be downloaded from www.ccbedford.org
Interviews will take place on Saturday 9th December at Christ Church Bedford, 140 Dudley Street, Bedford, MK40 3SX.
Unfortunately at this time, we are unable to offer this role to anyone who does not have a right to work in the UK.
Christ Church Bedford
Christ Church is an evangelical church committed to living and sharing the good news of the gospel here in Bedford, and open to the challenge of remaining relevant in today’s world.Visit website