This is a new, exciting role and represents a unique opportunity to exercise a significant ministry in a collaborative and mutually supportive team. The purpose of the role is to explore and implement plans for church growth from an already active and lively church. As this is a departure from the policy of placing clergy in areas of low growth your work will inform Diocesan strategy going forward.
This is a senior ministry role and should not be seen as a short term second curacy. You will be an ordained Anglican with relevant experience and willing to spend several years in post. You will also be able to lead other staff effectively.
Main duties & responsibilities:
Mission to reach the community outside the church.
• Enabling the church to reach out.
• Look to plant and oversee the development of new congregations that would ideally reach people that are currently unchurched, or de-churched.
• Bridge building with people outside the church.
• Enable mission work to flourish by drawing alongside those new in the area.
Developing partnerships with the congregations
• Educating congregations and informing the PCC about mission and evangelism.
• Encouraging local congregations to support missional initiatives. This role will take a lead on evangelism - encouraging and equipping the
community of Holy Trinity to be reaching out.
Enabling the wider church
• As this is a departure from previous policies of placing staff in areas of low growth you will have a significant responsibility to report to the
Diocese. Your work will assist the Diocese in forming policies going forward.
• Look to stir the churches in Bath and beyond toward evangelism with the goal of enabling other churches and individuals.
• Opportunity to make a significant difference in a faith filled, ‘can do’ environment where creativity and risk taking are encouraged.
• The Associate Minister will assist in the priestly ministry in the life of the parish, including preaching, leadership of services and occasional offices
and pastoral care, as part of the team of clergy and lay ministers. You will grow, develop and lead suitable teams in developing discipleship in the
• The role will be working across all ages and will include the training and formation of those exploring ordination and ordinands on placement
• You will also work collegially with the Vicar in the mission and ministry of the whole parish.
• You will attend weekly staff meetings as part of our supportive staff team
Diocese of Bath and Wells
The Diocese of Bath and Wells covers the county of Somerset and a small area of Dorset. The Episcopal seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells is located in the city of Wells in Somerset.
Three priorities for action are at the centre of diocesan life in order to enable every one of us to ‘live and tell the story of Jesus’.
1. To place mission and evangelism at the heart of everything that we do
Everything we do needs to be set within the context of sharing God’s love with the world.
2. To align our resoucres towards mission
We will shift the balance of the resources we deploy in time, people and buildings towards mission and seek numerical and spiritual growth as we
trust in the leading and guiding of God’s Holy Spirit.
3. To identify, develop and release the gifts of all people
We will seek new ministry models that help us all to make best use of the gifts and talents that God has given to his people.
Work on exploring new models of ministry is underway through Discerning Ministries.