Role: Youth Worker
This is a full-time position (40 hours a week) and will include evening and weekend work.
Salary £25,000-£28,000 depending on experience.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a vibrant, growing, multi-ethnic and multi-generational church at a critical time in its history. Ridgeway is looking for a Youth Worker to lead and develop its youth ministry into a new season of life and ministry, and be a key player in the wider work of making disciples of young people in the ‘Greater Didcot’ area in partnership with other local churches
Didcot is presently one of the fastest-growing towns in the UK. Although the current population is just under 30,000 there are plans to build another 12,000 homes over the next 15 years.
Ridgeway presently has a youth group of 15+ teenagers, which will grow quickly due to several children moving to secondary school next year. The current group is mixed in culture, ethnicity, and personality. They are passionate about life and being a part of Ridgeway. They meet 2-3 times a month during the Sunday service for age-appropriate relevant Bible teaching and discussion, they also have a Youth Club that meets in a local community centre every Sunday afternoon.
The successful candidate will also give half of their time to ECHO (Greater Didcot Christian Children and Youthwork Trust). With this organisation, they will be involved in local schools work, evangelism, and discipleship of young people in Didcot. This will include the organisation, oversight and leading of worship events, social events, and sporting activities- in partnership with and under the supervision of Echo's lead youth worker.
There will be a lot of liberty for the new Youth Worker to develop and lead the youth Ministry as they see fit following the Bible and God's direction.
As well as youth ministry, the successful candidate has a lot of opportunity to grow and develop in their giftings and expand their ministry and life experience under the mentorship and guidance of the Pastor, the Elders and experienced church leaders in Ridgeway and the wider Kinetic Movement.
Overview of Ridgeway Community Church Didcot
Ridgeway Community Church Didcot is a lively and loving church in the heart of South Oxfordshire. We are a community of followers of Jesus Christ, who commit ourselves to one another to worship God, study His Word, be strengthened by His Holy Spirit, and reach out to the world, which He loves.
We are part of the Ridgeway family alongside our sister church, Ridgeway Wallingford, and a part of a wider fellowship of churches named 'The Kinetic Network'.
Ridgeway Community Church started life in 1973 with a vision to be a radical, Biblical and Spirit-led church. We still hold to that vision today. The church met at numerous locations in the area before purchasing and renovating the premises on St Mary's Street, Wallingford in 1999.
After much prayer, a committed team established a second congregation in Didcot in 2008. We continue to work as one church with two congregations and remain in faith that the Lord will allow us to reach out to new communities soon.
Ridgeway is a welcoming and diverse church, consisting of people of different ages, races, cultures, and past experiences. We are evangelical in our conviction, charismatic in our practice and missional in our ministry.
Our mission, values and vision can be found on the church website: https://ridgewaycommunity.church/vision-mission-values/
The church in Didcot was pioneered by one of our present elders, David Locke and his wife Joy in 2008. In 2015, Chris Eke was employed, initially as Associate Pastor and more latterly as Pastor, with responsibility for Didcot. After five years of ministry in Didcot, Chris Eke left in 2021 to take a new opportunity elsewhere. In September 2021 Will Bassett was appointed the Pastor of Ridgeway Community Church Didcot.
During this time the church has seen significant numerical growth which has brought many blessings and some challenges. A significant amount of this growth has been within BAME communities, particularly among young families. Over the years, Ridgeway Didcot has met in numerous locations. At present we meet in the Main Hall of Didcot Girls School. The leadership team are exploring and pursuing other options and is praying that the Lord enables us to rent, manage or build a facility that will serve as a mission resource.
The church has 80 members and gathers on average 160-180 people on a Sunday morning. Ridgeway is overseen by a group of Elders, and the charity of Ridgeway is managed by a team of trustees. Both the elders and trustees hold themselves accountable to the church membership.
Ridgeway is committed to partnership in mission, both nationally and internationally. Our local partners include Didcot and Wallingford Area CAP Debt Centre and Echo (Greater Didcot Christian Children and Youthwork Trust). Ridgeway is a member of the Evangelical Alliance. Additionally, we are part of Kinetic Network, www.kineticnetwork.org a relational network of leaders and churches, committed to the transformation of individuals, churches, society and nations through the Spirit and the Word. Kinetic Network is led by our Ridgeway Wallingford Pastor, Gareth Lloyd-Jones.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a committed and born-again Christian
• Demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit in their lives
• Have a missional heart
• A personal desire to grow in their relationship with Jesus and their ministry gifting
• Be passionate about young people and seeing them come to and grow in faith in Jesus
• Have experience in youth ministry
• Be passionate about the Bible and clearly communicating it
• Have a leadership calling, including a commitment to work as part of a team
• Be an effective communicator, possessing good presentational, written, and oral communication skills
• Have the capacity to help us define a youth ministry vision which translates into actual practice
• Have personal warmth and good engagement skills, sufficient to relate to people from a wide range of different backgrounds
• Be passionate about the Gospel, open to the work of the Holy Spirit, devoted to worship and committed to evangelism
• Be willing to put down roots in the community
• Act with absolute integrity in all matters of morality
• Take allocated holidays and days off
• Prioritise personal devotion and family commitments over the busyness of church life
• Be assured that we are looking for a team member and not a Superhuman!
• In addition to the above essential qualities, the following are highly desirable:
• Experience in leading or being part of a multi-ethnic church
• The desire and ability to engage with secular agencies
• Formal theological education
To succeed in this role the candidate must agree with and be able to articulate:
• The Evangelical Alliance Basis of Faith
• Ridgeway's mission, values, and vision
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Give leadership to a team of volunteers
• Be committed to training and developing these volunteers
• Plan and deliver a weekly youth club and Sunday morning bible study
• Actively disciple and find others to disciple young people
• Be active in the pastoral care of young people, liaising and communicating with their parents (as appropriate)
• Encourage and be involved in evangelism to young people in the area and community engagement
• Receive line management from the Pastor and spiritual oversight from the eldership
• Become a member of Ridgeway Community Church Didcot
• Be active in church life and its activities
• Follow the relevant Safeguarding and Health and Safety policies
The Selection Process
The selection process will begin with a preliminary conversation with the Pastor and the sharing of the full employment package. If both parties are pleased to move forward, we will progress to a formal interview, including a visit and meeting with the young people and the volunteers, giving a brief talk at the Youth Club and leading an activity.
The target start for this role is early 2023.
Applicants should send their current CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Please feel free to call Pastor Will Bassett on 07711230375 for further information.
Ridgeway Community Church Didcot
We are an active and growing church in South Oxfordshire with a passion for preaching God’s word, experiencing the power of the Holy Spirit and sharing the good news of Jesus, in both word and deed.
At present we have two diverse congregations, in Didcot and Wallingford, who are united in their values, vision and mission.
If you're looking for somewhere to worship regularly or just curious about knowing more about the Christian faith, please come along.
You'll be made welcome!